Wine Tasting Bites
Simple Pairings for Your Wine Tasting:
To make your wine tasting simple and elegant, Chef Michel recommends the following light pairings:
1. A Variety of Cheeses: Bold, medium and light/creamy selections will pair with a variety of wines. For ideas click here.
2. Breads or Crackers: Slice a fresh baguette and choose a few different crackers that will complement, not overpower the cheese. Mild crackers also help cleanse the palate before each wine.
3. Fresh Fruit: Strawberries, grapes, sliced pears, apples and melon complement the flavors of wine and can be a fun way to compare aromas of real fruit with the wines featured at your tasting. To prevent browning of sliced fruit brush with a little lemon juice or soak slices in slightly salted water.
4. Nuts, Dried Fruit & Honey: Simple and elegant, many red wines have a nutty flavor. Choose milder nuts like almonds or cashews to not overpower the wine. Honey is beautiful in a small serving dish on the table and so delicious with a variety of cheeses.
5. Chocolates: Who doesn’t love chocolate? A wonderful complement to bolder reds, dark chocolate truffles, a baked chocolate torte, or mini-brownies are all typically available at any local store.